Being happy is the dream of millions of people. Life is really short and not being happy only complicates things. Our habits have a big impact on the quality of life we lead, and these habits also affect our happiness.
Although some people consider it the same, there’s a big different between being unhappy and clinical depression. Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain, while being unhappy is related to the way we choose to live. Luckily, unhappiness can be easily treated. Here are 12 habits only unhealthy and unhappy people make:
- Constant complainingConstantly complaining about whatever can make you unhappy. People who complain often are negative and more prone to being unhappy. We all have problems in life– fair or unfair, you need to seek solutions instead of complaining.
- Being critical of yourself and othersThe way we talk and think about ourselves and others is definitely important for our happiness. We all need to feel good about ourselves and realize to accept mistakes and move on. We also need to accept people as they are instead of criticizing them often.
- Living beyond meansLet’s face it – we live in a materialistic society in which money does all the talking. We’re constantly bombarded with ads about new gadgets, cars or whatnot which promise a better life. However, you shouldn’t believe everything you see. Although buying something new will make you feel good for a while, you will experience the “buyer’s remorse” later for sure. Instead of buying a new gadget, spend your money on travelling, exercise or books that will satisfy your needs without debt.
- Negative addictionsWe should consume everything in moderation. One sandwich or a couple of drinks are fine, but they can turn into a big problem if you become addicted. Negative habits such as alcohol abuse or drugs can destroy your health, so instead of them, focus on your passions and hobbies.
- Regretting the pastRegret is useless and harmful – you can’t live your life dwelling on past mistakes. According to psychologists, there are 4 stages of coping with regret: learning from your mistakes, letting go of the past, never taking too much blame on yourself and reframing the situation. Follow these steps and you will surely live happier.
- Worrying about the futureNo one knows what the future holds, so you don’t need to worry about it. You need to live in the present and forget all about the past and future if you want to be happy.
- Being driven by fearFear is a major contributor to unhappiness. Fear can cripple you and is a serious negative process. Living in fear will only make you think negatively, so conquer it and you will live a happy life.
- Delaying your goals and dreamsBeing caught up in the tangled way of life is easy –sticking to a daily routine of working, eating and sleeping can make you pretty unhappy. Instead of this, you should involve your talents and passions towards a tangible goal which will make you happier in the end. Take the first step and you’ll see that it’s easy to achieve your goals and dreams.
- GossipingThere’s nothing worse than meddling in other people’s lives. Small talk is a negative process that won’t make you happy, so avoid it and try not to make other people’s lives better.
- Holding grudgesAnimosity is dead weight on our backs. You should only think about your unhappiness – forgive and forget the actions of others in order to be happier.
- Eating poorlyEating a diet robbed of essential nutrients will only make you unfit and unhappy in the long run. A poor diet can cause weight gain, lack of energy, decreased productivity and depression, which is why you need to change your dietary habits. Focus on healthy foods and you will look and feel great.
- Expanding your problemsUnhappiness and discontent are deep emotional problems which can make you blow things out of proportion. Take a step back and take a good hard look at your problems and try to find a solution instead of making them look bigger.