Pizza can be healthy too! Instead of a heavy and greasy pie crust, try cauliflower and chia seeds instead.
It is healthy, delicious, and yields many benefits. Cauliflower is full of the vitamins that our bodies need and crave like thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, folic acid, omega-3’s, and vitamin K. It also serves as a good source of vegetable protein, phosphorous, and potassium.
Cauliflower is very good for cancers such as breast, colon, prostate, and ovarian. The cauliflower provides special nutrient support for several body systems that are closely connected with cancer prevention. It has certain compounds that help resist cancer, and can eliminate cancer enzymes. Cauliflower contains sulforaphane, a sulphur compound that has been shown to kill cancer stem cells.
Cauliflower is also good for your heart, digestive system, and it’s anti-inflammatory. Sulforaphane in cauliflower and other cruciferous vegetables has been found to signifigantly improve blod pressure and kidney function.
The delicious flowery vegetable is also full of choline, a B vitamin which is known for its role in brain development. Choline is very important during pregnancies, and it may be able to diminish age-related memory decline.
Chia seeds also play a starring role in this deliciously healthy vegan crust. Chia seeds are tiny black seeds that are full of fiber, protein, calcium, iron, and omega-3. They are loaded full of antioxidants that can fight the production of free radicals, which damage molecules in cells that contribute to ageing and horrible disease like cancer.
Make this crust, and you will not be disappointed in the flavor or the benefits!
Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- 1 Large head of Organic Cauliflower
- 3/4 cup of ground almonds
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Dried Oregano
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 3/4 cup water
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Mix your chia seeds in with the 3/4 cup of water and place in your fridge 20 minutes before intended use.
- Chop the cauliflower, and place in a blender or food processor and blend until it is a fine rice-like texture.
- Measure out around 3 cups and place into a large bowl, add in the ground almonds, oregano, salt, and pepper. Make a hole in the center and add in the Chia goop.
- Combine the ingredients by hand and, and shape everything together into a ball. It should be loose and sticky not like a traditional dough.
- Put the ball onto a baking tray and form into a flat crust with your hands. Make a ridge around the outside, and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add your favorite tomato base, and toppings bake an additional 5-10 minutes and enjoy your healthy meal!