Rising immensely in popularity over the last year, kale has changed the diets of healthy eaters around the world. Low in calories, high in iron, and filled with powerful antioxidants, this vegetable has it all. And while kale’s vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin K help your body stay healthy, it also serves as a delicious addition to a variety of dishes.
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, chopped
• 5 cups vegetable broth
• 1 medium carrot, diced into 1/4-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
• 1 cup diced celery
• 2 red potatoes, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
• 3 cups kale, rinsed, stems removed and chopped very fine
• 2 tsp dried thyme
• 2 tsp dried sage
• salt and pepper to taste
1. Chop garlic and onions and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out their hidden health benefits.
2. Heat 1 TBS broth in a medium soup pot.
3. Healthy Sauté onion in broth over medium heat for about 5 minutes stirring frequently.
4. Add garlic and continue to sauté for another minute.
5. Add broth, carrots, and celery and bring to a boil on high heat.
6. Once it comes to a boil reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 15 more minutes.
7. Add kale and rest of ingredients and cook another 5 minutes. If you want to simmer for a longer time for extra flavor and richness, you may need to add a little more broth.