Dental cavities are treated by drilling out the decayed material and replacing it with a filling, either an amalgam filling or one of the newer types of tooth-colored composite fillings. The choice of filling materials depends on the location of surface(s) to be repaired, how cooperative the patient is, and several other factors.
Dental amalgam fillings contain mercury and other metals.
Because mercury has long been recognized as poisonous to humans, concerns about the potential of mercury poisoning from dental amalgams have been addressed by abundant research. Most scientific studies find no relationship between amalgam fillings and symptoms of mercury poisoning in any age group, although a small number of people have allergic reactions to these fillings.
Research continues in order to expand knowledge about any potential effects of amalgam fillings on certain populations, particularly fetuses, breast-fed infants, and very young children.
Mercury is a naturally occurring substance, found in air, water, and soil. It also is found in dental amalgam fillings. In sufficient quantity, mercury is known to be toxic to humans.
Here are a few facts about mercury amalgam fillings:
1. Causes Damage to Brain in Children
A group of the world’s top mercury researchers announced that mercury from amalgam fillings can permanently damage the brain, kidneys, and immune system of children.
2. Amalgam Fillings Linked to Neurological Problems, Gastrointestinal Problems
The first large-scale epidemiological study of mercury and adverse reactions was recently completed and showed that of the symptoms looked at, there was a link seen to gastrointestinal problems, sleep disturbances, concentration problems, memory disturbances, lack of initiative, restlessness, bleeding gums and other mouth disorders.
3. Mercury / Alzheimer’s Disease Connection Found
A study related to mercury and Alzheimer’s Disease was recently completed by a team of scientists led by well-respected researcher Dr. Boyd Haley.
They exposed rats to levels of mercury vapor diluted to account for size differences between humans and rats. The rats developed tissue damage “indistinguishable” from that of Alzheimer’s Disease. Repeating the experiment showed the same results.
Dr. Haley is quoted as saying “I’m getting the rest of my fillings taken out right now, and I’ve asked my wife to have hers replaced too.”
4. Amalgam Fillings Since 1970s Unstable
The type of mercury fillings that began to be used during the last couple of decades, non-gamma-2 (high copper), releases many times more mercury than the older style of amalgam fillings. Also, please see the article on the instability of dental amalgam fillings by Ulf Bengsston.
5. Amalgam Fillings Release Highly Toxic Elemental Mercury
Mercury is one of the most toxic substances known. The mercury release from fillings is absorbed primarily as highly toxic elemental mercury vapor.
6. Amalgam Fillings Largest Source of Mercury By Far
Based on a number of studies in Sweden, the World Health Organization review of inorganic mercury in 1991 determined that mercury absorption is estimated to be approximately four times higher from amalgam fillings than from fish consumption.
Recent studies have confirmed this estimate. The amount absorbed can vary considerably from person to person.
Dr. Kennedy makes one of the boldest comments I’ve ever heard about the dangers of mercury toward the end of the video.