Jordan Bartliff’s baby boy was born three weeks ago. As he had done with his first-born, the Englishman used own-brand diapers from the Asda supermarket chain for the latest arrival. But when he wanted to change his son’s diaper again one hour later, he was instantly shocked by what he saw
The parts of the baby’s stomach in contact with the diaper were now a fiery red; the parents immediately took him to the hospital. “He’s not allergic to [nappies], that’s been ruled out,” Jordan wrote on Facebook. “It looks like a chemical reaction, as has been confirmed by the hospital.”
He continued, “As he’s been wearing the same nappies for 3 weeks prior to this. With no problems whatsoever. I don’t normally put personal stuff on Facebook but as it’s happened to such an innocent little life at 3 weeks old the day it happened who bearing in mind is 5 weeks early, who is now needing oxygen through a machine because of this. I wouldn’t want it happening to any other little soul, so please be vigilant and careful with these nappies as it obviously is a bad batch”
Two days later, the supermarket chain responded by withdrawing its own-brand diapers from sale as a precautionary measure. “Our hearts go out to the Bartliff family, and we hope their baby son makes a full recovery soon,” a representative from the supermarket said.
“We’re in touch with his dad and have collected the nappies so that we can test them with others in the batch.” Hopefully, they’ll find out what caused this horrifying reaction to the diaper before other little ones suffer the same injuries.