Warning: This article contains images that some readers may find disturbing.
Meghan Linsey of Louisiana became famous for being a runner up on “The Voice” recently. But then her fans noticed that she’d disappeared from social media and wondered what had happened.
Soon, Meghan revealed the reason with the following picture:
That awful wound came about like this: “I woke up to a stinging sensation on my face. I looked and in my right hand was a dead spider. Somehow while I was sleeping, a spider had bit me and I had killed it. This scenario is literally on the top of my nightmare list. The stinging was awful and I knew it had to be poisonous. I put the spider in a bag and headed to urgent care.”
I know I’ve been MIA on social media for a while, so I wanted to fill you all in on what’s going on. These pics are hard to share, but I think it’s important for me to be open with you guys. Everything isn’t perfect all of the time. We all go through hard stuff. So, 9 days ago, on February 12, I woke up to a stinging sensation on my face. I looked and in my right hand was a dead spider. Somehow while I was sleeping, a spider had bit me and I had killed it. This scenario is literally on the top of my nightmare list. The stinging was awful and I knew it had to be poisonous. I put the spider in a bag and headed to urgent care. Over the course of the last 9 days, I have experienced the most insane symptoms. From excruciating nerve pain in my face, muscle spasms, full body rash, extreme swelling… etc. It has really been rough. It has been confirmed that I was bit by a brown recluse spider, one of two of the most poisonous spiders in the US. I am still dealing with the wound on my face, but I finally found the right meds to control the nerve pain. I know I’m not out of the woods on this yet, but I am so incredibly grateful for my health and I will never take it for granted again. Your thoughts and prayers are much appreciated. I will be getting back in the studio this week, to work on the new record! I can’t wait to finish it. And I can’t wait to get back on the road on March 9 & 10- I will be playing in Alaska! And PLEASE, if you live in area where these spiders are, do some research and learn how to protect yourself! I know this is not common at all, but better safe than sorry! Love you all! Xo Meg
Over the next few days Meghan had muscle spasms, a rash broke out all over her body, and the skin around the original bite turned black as the tissue in the area died. Part of her treatment involved being in a hyperbaric chamber with a higher level of oxygen than normal, to help the skin regenerate.
Doctors at the ER confirmed that she’d been bitten by a brown recluse spider, one of the two most venomous spiders in the United States. (The other is the black widow, more famous thanks to Marvel Comics and Scarlett Johansson!)
Loving my hair color right now. I hit my roots up yesterday with some bleach and then used the @celebluxury Viral Colorwash in lavender. This time I left the ends of my hair out when I first applied it and then added water and washed it all the way through to the ends! This colorwash stuff is a game changer!!!! ??#nofilter #purplehairdontcare #lavenderhair #pastelhair #viralcolorwash #diyhair #hair
Fortunately, within two weeks, Meghan had already recovered and, for the most part, her scar is barely visible. If you live in an area with such spiders, good luck! And be sure if you kill one not to touch it: the poison is bad for your skin even without a bite.
As if we needed another reason to be scared of spiders!