Ever since the Boston Tea Party, Americans have consumed coffee. Europeans also enjoy imbibing in this dark brew. The smell of it evokes wonderful feelings for those like to drink it, and some swear that they are ineffective until they have a cup of coffee.
Did you know that coffee is good for more than just getting your brain jump-started in the morning? It’s good for both your mind and body, internally and externally. Check out the 6 ways you can use coffee to help you.
1. Body scrub. WebMD says that the coffee grounds help remove dead skins cells when used as a body scrub. If you like the smell of coffee, then you can enjoy that as you shower or soak in a tub as well. You can make your own body scrub by mixing 1 cup of coffee grounds, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup coconut oil, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 tablespoon vanilla together. You can melt the coconut oil first if you need to and then add the other ingredients. Once it’s thoroughly mixed, pour into jars to use later.
2. Facial exfoliat0r. You can also make an exfoliator for your face. Dr. Axe
combines 2 tablespoons coconut oil, 2 teaspoons honey, 4 tablespoons coffee grounds, 8 drops carrot seed oil and 6 drops tea tree oil to make a healthy exfoliator for your face.
3. Shiny hair. Teen Vogue says that using coffee on your hair will help moisturize it, give it shine and dye it all at once. If you have blonde hair or use chemical dyes, you may not want to try this. For those who are brunettes, give this a whirl. Brew 2 cups of dark roast coffee and let it cool completely. Pour the cooled coffee over clean, damp hair, starting at the scalp and working it through the tips. You can do it over a bucket or bowl so you can reuse the coffee for additional treatments. Once the hair is thoroughly wet, tie it up on your head and cover with a shower cap for 20 minutes. Rinse the coffee out and wash your hair as normal.
4. Facial mask. Another way to put coffee to work for you is to make a face mask. Is there any advantage to using coffee? It smells great, and when you rinse it off, you get the benefits of exfoliation. DIY Remediesmakes a honey and coffee mask by mixing 1 tablespoon of raw honey and 1 tablespoon of coffee powder together. Spread it on your face and let it sit for 20 minutes before rinsing off.
5. Prevent stroke. Coffee has many great health benefits when drunk. One of these, according to WebMD, is that it may help prevent strokes in women. In order to get the benefit, women have to drink at least two cups of coffee a day.
6. Prevent Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s. Another benefit that is being seen in drinking coffee is the prevention of Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and dementia. WebMD reports that people who drink three to five cups of coffee a day are “65% less likely to develop dementia and Alzheimer’s.” Bring on the brew!
With so many different options for using coffee, buying it in bulk might be the best way to go! You don’t have to stop with just enjoying the drink. Now, you can enjoy the smell of coffee when you bathe and do your hair. So sweet!